This is my recent modification of Avocado-Kale Salad from Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine by Gabriel Cousens, MD. Love the avocado salad, but had no avocados in the house, so I made this instead…
What you’ll need:
- 1 big bunch of kale (~6-7 cups fresh, chopped) — I used 1/2 bunch purple kale + 1/2 bunch lacinato (dinosaur) kale
- 4 small tomatoes, chopped
- 3 TBSP tahini
- 1 large celery stalk
- 1/4 – 1/3 c olives (any kind you like)
- 2-3 TBSP olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice (1/2 lemon) for salad + 2 tsp lemon juice for dressing
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup (or less if it’s not your thing) dulse seaweed
Making your raw kale salad:
- remove leaves from kale stems and finely chop kale
- in a large bowl, add salt to kale and massage until kale wilts (it will reduce in volume by ~1/2), ~5-8 minutes
- add 2 tsp lemon juice and continue to massage kale
- once kale is sufficiently wilted and tender, add tomatoes, olives, and carrots. set aside.
- Add tahini, olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice, celery, dulse to blender. Blend until creamy and smooth. Add small amount of water and salt/pepper, as needed.
- Combine dressing with salad. Refrigerate. Stays good for 2-3 days.